Sunday, February 22, 2009

Vista sais "You need permission to perform this action"

The folder is mine. I just want to delete or move it, who do I need to get permission from? I have discovered 2 things that work when I get this message:

1. Delete folder contents and then try to delete the folder again.

However this doesn't always work, as trying to delete the contents might give you the same error. So:

2.
a. Right click folder.
b. Properties
c. "Security" Tab
d. Advanced
e. "Owner" Tab
f. Edit
g. Select your username from the list
h. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
i. click OK on all open windows.



That should have done the trick. At least it worked for me.

I was trying to remove an older installation of Vista (through Vista) and I managed to remove the old Program files and Users folders this way.

There is another easier way, which gives you a "Take ownership" option when you right click a folder, you can fire more on that here.

I was not able to remove the old Windows folder this way. I've found many ways to delete it - none of them worked. I instead popped in my Ubuntu live cd, and deleted the folder through Ubuntu in just 5 secs.

If even one person benefits from what I've written here, I'm happy for spending the time to write it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment